Malaysian Indian Stir-Fry Cabbage. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves to hot oil. Let them start to pop then stir in onions, fresh or dried chillies, turmeric powder and garam masala (if using). FRY SPICES: Fry shallots, garlic, and ginger - on low fire - until fragrant.
Both versions are spiced with tempered mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, and chilies. Add cabbage, salt and pepper, then stir-fry until cabbage wilts but remains somewhat crisp. Cabbage thoran is my favorite Indian side dish. You can have Malaysian Indian Stir-Fry Cabbage using 21 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Malaysian Indian Stir-Fry Cabbage
- Prepare of Round Cabbage - finely shredded.
- You need 1/2 tsp of black mustard seeds.
- You need 1/2 tsp of cumin seed (optional).
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- Prepare 1 of medium brown onion - finely sliced.
- Prepare 1 sprig of curry leaves (or more).
- Prepare of (Or shallot or both).
- Prepare 1 of red/green chili - thinly sliced.
- It's of (or use dried chillies, seeds removed).
- It's 4 tbsp of water.
- You need of 🧂 Seasoning.
- You need 1 tsp of (or as needed) salt or chicken seasoning powder.
- It's Pinch of Hing/Asafoetida powder.
- It's of 🥕 Optional (use either one).
- Prepare 1/3 C of green peas.
- It's 1/3 C of thinly julienned carrot.
- Prepare of Note:.
- Prepare 1 of . Cut round cabbage into four parts. Remove the core. Use only a quarter from these cut portions. Use more if desired. Shred thinly.
- It's 2 of . For variations : Add 1/4 c of thinly julienned carrot or 1/4 c of grated coconut or green peas.
- Prepare 3 of . Few dried chilies can also be used to substitute fresh chilies. Cut dried chilies in half and remove seeds.
- Prepare 4 of . Garam masala can be added to this dish.
Growing up in Malaysia and a lover of Indian food, I've lunch regularly at the Indian Malaysian restaurant. They lay a large piece Growing up in Malaysia and a lover of Indian food, I've lunch regularly at the Indian Malaysian restaurant. Cabbage stir fry is a simple and delicious side dish served with Indian meals. A versatile recipe that can be easily jazzed up with ingredients such as tomatoes, carrots, peas, potatoes, or even lentils!
Malaysian Indian Stir-Fry Cabbage instructions
- Prepare all ingredients. Heat 2 -3 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves to hot oil. Let them start to pop then stir in onions, fresh or dried chillies, turmeric powder and garam masala (if using). Sauté until aromatic. Variations: Finely julienned carrot or Green peas can be added now or later (if using)..
- Stir in cabbage. Add 4 tbsp of water. Season, taste and adjust accordingly. Stir to mix. Cook over medium heat until cabbage is cooked to your desired doneness. Add pinch of Hing or Asafoetida powder. Stir again then remove from the heat and serve with roti, naan/flat bread or rice..
Stir fry, until pieces are cooked. Add in the vegetables, except cabbage. Stir fry and add in the sauce (it is advisable to prepare the sauce ingredients earlier in a bowl). Half way, add in the cabbage and let it simmer. It is prepared with only cabbage and everyday spices.