Easiest Way to Make Appetizing Seitan steak pie (vegan)
Seitan steak pie (vegan). Check Out Vegan Pie on eBay. Fill Your Cart With Color today! Check Out our Selection & Order Now.
Then add the mushrooms and onion, cooking over a medium heat until the onions are. Great recipe for Seitan steak pie (vegan). I make seitan steaks in batches and freeze them (see separate recipe), and this meal is designed for using up steaks from the freezer. You can have Seitan steak pie (vegan) using 15 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Seitan steak pie (vegan)
- It's 2 of seitan steaks (or two portions of other faux meat).
- It's of Cooking oil (no more than 1 tbsp).
- You need 1 of carrot.
- It's 1 of leek.
- You need 1 of onion.
- It's 1 tsp of garlic.
- It's 1 tsp of paprika.
- It's 1/2 tsp of mild chilli powder.
- Prepare of Other vegetables of your choice (e.g. mushrooms, sweet potato or other root veg - the pies pictured have 1 potato and 2 carrots between them).
- It's 200 ml of veg stock.
- You need of About 1 tsp gravy browning.
- Prepare of Salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare of OPTIONAL 150 ml plant-based cream (I use oat cream - which is surprisingly low in fat!) Add extra water if not using cream, to make sure the filling has a nice amount of gravy.
- Prepare of Half-block of ready-made puff pastry (enough for two pie-lids), defrosted.
- It's of For brushing, a little plant milk.
Use some other faux meat if you prefer. (I also use frozen ready-made puff pastry. Then add the mushrooms and onion, cooking over a medium heat until the onions are softened. Add the flour and herbs, bay leaf, and salt and pepper and mix well. Add the mushroom gravy and stock.
Seitan steak pie (vegan) instructions
- Cut the steak into bite-sized chunks and sear by cooking briefly with a little hot oil in a large pan. Remove from the heat and set aside..
- Chop the carrot, leek and onion in a food processor and then add these to the same cooking pan. Cook gently for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are soft and smell good. Add splashes of water as needed to keep the mixture moist and stop it from browning..
- Now add the garlic and spices, stir well and cook for a couple more minutes. Next, add the pieces of seared steak plus any other vegetables you are using, pour over the stock and add the gravy browning and seasoning. Cook until all vegetables are tender (time taken will depend on what vegetables you used and how large the pieces are - allow up to about half an hour). Then add the cream, if using, and stir..
- When the pie filling is about 10-15 minutes away from being ready, preheat the oven to 200C. Prepare your pastry lids - just roll out the puff pastry into one suitably-sized piece for each pie..
- Finally, assemble the pies! Add about half the cooked filling to each of two individual pie dishes and top with a piece of rolled-out puff pastry. If the lids are close-fitting, cut the pastry for steam to escape. Brush with plant milk. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the pastry has risen and turned golden. Serve :).
A classic vegan steak and ale pie, perfect served with chips or roast potatoes, and green vegetables. To serve the vegan seitan steaks: When you are ready to enjoy the vegan steaks, heat a frying pan, grill pan, or barbecue. When hot, fry or grill the steaks a couple of minutes on each side until grill marks form. Brush the steaks with leftover marinade while cooking to keep them juicy, and also right before serving. Don't forget to keep some pastry spare for the lid!