Red Cabbage Okonomiyaki. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders Great recipe for Red Cabbage Okonomiyaki. On the other day when I made 'Okonomiyaki', the famous Japanese savoury pancake, using Red Cabbage. It seems the flour I used contained Bi-Carb Soda and it caused that colour change.
Chef Jonathan Brooks makes a delicious version of the savory Japanese pancake called okonomiyaki, loaded with red cabbage. Katsuobushi (bonito flakes), to serve (optional) Whisk the flours, salt and sugar in a smallish bowl, then add the eggs and stock. Peel the yam, if using (use gloves, because it can irritate skin. You can have Red Cabbage Okonomiyaki using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Red Cabbage Okonomiyaki
- You need of *Note: This recipe is for making two Okonomiyaki in two different colours, Purple and Blue/Green.
- It's of Red Cabbage *thinly sliced.
- Prepare of Vinegar for Purple coloured pancake.
- Prepare of Bi-carb Soda for Blue/Green coloured pancake.
- You need of Salt.
- Prepare of ｘ 1/2 cup Plain Flour.
- It's of ｘ 1/3 cup Water.
- You need of Eggs.
- Prepare of Additional Protein *e.g. Ham, Sausages, Prawns, etc.
- It's of Oil for cooking.
- Prepare of Okonomiyaki Sauce.
- Prepare of Japanese Mayonnaise.
- You need of Aonori (Dried Green Laver Flakes) *optional.
Okonomiyaki are traditionally served with a Japanese sauce of the same name and mayonnaise, then sprinkled with bonito flakes or nori. To make a suitable (although possibly sacrilegious) substitute for this sauce, combine three parts ketchup to one part Worcestershire sauce with a dash of soy. Log in or sign up to leave a comment Log In Sign Up. Sort by. best. no comments yet.
Red Cabbage Okonomiyaki step by step
- Thinly slice Red Cabbage. Divide in half and place in 2 mixing bowls..
- Bowl 1: This portion is for Purple colour. You need a little bit of Vinegar to keep purple colour. Add 1 pinch Salt and 1/2 teaspoon Vinegar, mix well, and set aside..
- Bowl 2: This portion is for Blue/Green colour. Don’t worry! It tastes the same. Add 1 pinch Salt and 1/8 to 1/6 teaspoon Bi-carb Soda, mix well, and set aside..
- Add 1/2 cup Plain Flour, 1/3 cup Water, 1 Egg and additional Protein to each bowl. Mix to combine..
- Oil a frying pan, pour one of the mixtures to form a pancake. When the edge of the pancake has set, flip the pancake over, and cook for 2 or 3 minutes until cooked through. You may flip over a few times while cooking..
- Place the pancake on a serving plate, and dress with Okonomiyaki Sauce and Japanese Mayonnaise. Sprinkle with Aonori (Dried Green Laver Flakes) if you have it..
- Repeat with the other mixture..
Be the first to share what you think! To make the okonomiyaki batter, whisk together the eggs, flour, salt, soy sauce and toasted sesame oil until smooth. The Vegetable: Known for their dense-leafed heads in hues of green and purplish red, cabbages are a hardy member of the wide ranging brassica family. Cabbage has been viewed throughout history as peasant food, but they're highly rich in nutrients and. This was my first veggie meal.