Easiest Way to Prepare Tasty Fish pie
Fish pie. Garden At Home With Sarah Raven, Wide Range of Products Available Online Fish expert Mitch Tonks' fish pie recipe has bags of flavour from the smoked haddock, prawns and cod. Fish pie is a universal comfort food, we've given it a Spanish twist and a domino effect potato topping. Spoon the potatoes over the pie and scuff up the surface with a fork.
In this version, leek and watercress are added to boost the vitamin value, and sliced potato and cheese make an appealing [.] Recipe by: Azmina Govindji Fluffy haddock fish pie Roughly chop the spinach and stir into the cheese sauce. Remove the pan from the heat, then stir in the prawns, fish pie mix and mustard. Hearty, creamy and super-satisfying "This delicious fish pie is a great excuse to pack in the veg, so use whatever you have to hand - even frozen peas! You can have Fish pie using 24 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Fish pie
- You need of For the mash potato:.
- Prepare 500 g of potatoes, cut into chunks.
- Prepare Knob of butter (generous amount).
- It's 100 g of soya milk (or any milk preference).
- You need of To taste salt and white pepper.
- Prepare Pinch of nutmeg (optional).
- Prepare of For the filling:.
- It's 590 ml of soya milk (or any milk of choice).
- Prepare 240 g of smoked/unsmoked haddock fillets.
- It's 200 g of smoked/unsmoked cod loin.
- It's 1 of white onion, sliced in half.
- It's 3 of cloves, pieced into half of the onion.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- You need 1/2 of leek, washed and chopped.
- Prepare 25 g of butter.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- It's 3 tablespoons of plain flour.
- Prepare of Sprinkle nutmeg (optional).
- You need 25 g of frozen peas.
- You need 1 teaspoon of parsley, finely chopped.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of lemon wax, finely grated.
- You need of Garnish:.
- You need of Sprinkle Parmesan cheese, finely grated (optional).
- You need of Sprinkle mixed ground peppercorns (optional).
Instead of plain old mash, I've created a crispy root veg topping to add colour and texture - it's a bit like a rosti, only baked instead of fried. Simple and satisfying - a good fish pie is one of the greatest comfort foods. From mini fish pies to fish pie with cheesy leek mash topping, these recipes will quickly become household favourites. Filter This Page Filter Clear All.
Fish pie instructions
- In a saucepan on medium high heat, boil the potatoes until soft and tender. Using a colander drain the potatoes, return to the saucepan, on low heat. Mash the potatoes adding milk and butter. Once to desired consistency, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg (optional). Set aside and cover saucepan with lid to keep warm..
- In a saucepan on medium heat, add the milk, fish, onions with the cloves and bay leaves. Bring milk to a boil and then reduce heat to low and gently simmer for another 7-8 minutes..
- In the meantime in a work or large saucepan on medium heat, add the olive oil, butter, leeks and onions. Gently sauté the leeks and onions until soft and onions are translucent. Continuously stirring using a wooden spoon..
- Check the fish and turn off heat, immediately remove the fish from the saucepan and transfer into a bowl. Keep the poaching milk in the saucepan, as it will be used later..
- Now add the flour one tablespoon at a time to the leeks and onions, stirring constantly before adding the next tablespoon of flour. Tip: add the next tablespoon flour once no flour is left..
- Using a ladle bit by bit spoon in the milk from poaching the fish. Stir and combine well before adding the next ladle. Repeat until rest of milk has been used up. On low heat gently stir until the sauce has thickened. Season the sauce and taste, adjust seasoning to preference (add more salt, pepper or nutmeg (optional) if necessary)..
- Add the peas to the sauce mixture and cook for a minute. Break the fish into chunks, feeling for any bones (which need to be removed). Gently fold in the fish chunks into the sauce until well incorporated. Add parsley and lemon zest and gently mix..
- Place an ovenproof pie dish onto a baking tray. Spoon the fish mixture into the bottom of the dish and fill just above half way. Tip: do not overfill..
- Spoon and evenly top with the cooled mashed potato. Use a fork to create a rough texture on top. Grate parmesan and mixed peppercorns on top (optional). Place in the oven for 25 minutes, then change to grill setting for 5 minutes or until top is golden brown and fish pie is bubbling..
- Transfer pie dish onto a serving plate, eat immediately while piping hot. Serve with a side of green vegetables like broccoli or kale..
Start by making the mashed potato for the topping. Chop the potatoes into chunks and cook in boiling salted water until tender. Lift the fish out onto a plate and strain the cooking liquor into a jug. When the fish is cool enough to handle, break it into large flakes, discarding the skin and any bones. Place the fish in an oven-proof dish and cover with the milk.