How to Prepare Tasty Chicken Jalfrezi
You can have Chicken Jalfrezi using 17 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chicken Jalfrezi
- It's 4 of chicken breasts, diced.
- Prepare 2 of large onions, finely chopped.
- Prepare 2 of large onions, chopped into large chunks.
- Prepare of Garlic paste, or 4 garlic cloves mashed into a paste.
- Prepare of Thumb sized piece fresh ginger, finely grated.
- Prepare 2 of green chillies, finely chopped.
- Prepare 2 of red chillies, cut in half length ways with the seeds removed.
- It's 1 of large bunch coriander, finely chopped.
- You need 800 g of chopped tomatoes.
- It's 500 ml of hot water.
- It's of Ground cumin.
- You need of Ground coriander.
- You need of Curry powder (medium or hot).
- You need of Paprika (not smoked).
- It's of Salt.
- Prepare of Black pepper.
- Prepare of Oil (I use rice bran, but normal vegetable works fine).
Chicken Jalfrezi step by step
- Get yourself a container. Put the diced chicken into the container with 2 heaped tsp ground cumin, 2 heaped tsp ground coriander, 2 heaped tsp curry powder and 2 tbsp oil. Rub the spices into the chicken really well and place the container in the fridge for now..
- Heat some oil in a large pot. Add the finely chopped onion, 2 heaped tsp garlic paste, the grated ginger and the finely chopped green chillies. Fry until the onion is softened (about 5 mins). Then add the water and simmer for 20 minutes..
- Then add 4 heaped tsp ground cumin, 4 heaped tsp ground coriander, 4 heaped tsp curry powder, 1 heaped tsp paprika, 1 tsp salt and 2 tsp ground black pepper. (This sounds like a lot of spices but it is necessary) Mix well..
- Then add the chopped tomatoes and the peppers. Mix again and make sure the peppers are covered by the sauce. Put the lid on the pot and simmer for 10 minutes..
- While the sauce is simmering again, heat oil in a large pan. (Non-stick preferably) Take the chicken out of the fridge and add to the pan and also add the large chunks of onion. Fry until the onion is starting to soften and the chicken is partly cooked..
- Add the chicken and large chunks of onion to the pot with the sauce. Also add the halved deseeded red chillies. Mix well. Put the lid back on the pot and simmer for 1 hour. That sounds like a long time but it does make a difference to the flavour..
- Just before serving add the chopped coriander to the pot and mix well. Serve with basmati rice. And naan breads if you wish to..