Recipe: Tasty Classic Cottage Pie
Classic Cottage Pie. Deals Everyday for Your Kitchen and Home. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Put the cottage pie filling in a baking dish and spoon the mash over the top.
Cottage pie was originally an old English recipe invented as a way to make the leftover meat from a Sunday roast go further, chopping the meat into small chunks, mixing with veg and onions and making a stock from leftover bones. Topped with mash and baked this provided an extra meal for families. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. You can cook Classic Cottage Pie using 13 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Classic Cottage Pie
- You need 4 of large baking potatoes.
- It's 1 of onion, finely diced.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic, crushed.
- Prepare 500 g of beef mince.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of gluten free plain flour.
- Prepare 500 g of lean beef steak mince.
- You need of Large handful frozen peas.
- It's of Large handful frozen sweetcorn.
- It's 1 tsp of dried basil.
- You need 2 tbsp of tomato purée.
- You need 350 mls of beef stock.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- It's 1/2 tsp of pepper.
Add the onion, garlic and carrot and cook over a medium heat until soft. Add the mince and cook to brown. Try this twist on the classic cottage pie. Cottage pie is one of the classic dishes in a British kitchen.
Classic Cottage Pie step by step
- Peel the potatoes, cut into 4 and boil in salted water until tender. Drain and allow to cool..
- Fry the onion and garlic in olive oil until soft and translucent..
- Add the mince and fry until brown, about 10 minutes, stirring regularly. Stir in the tomato purée..
- Sprinkle your flour, basil, salt and pepper and then pour in the stock. Stir in your frozen peas and sweetcorn..
- Simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes..
- Mash the potatoes adding some olive oil, salt and pepper to the mash..
- Layer your beef mix into the base of a baking dish. Then spread the mash on top. Run a fork over the mash to create ridges that go crispy..
- Bake for a further 30 minutes in the oven then serve..
It is known for being a hearty, satisfying, and warming food, and although often thought of as a winter dish, it is perfect any time of year. Warming to the tips of your toes, a comforting dish of cottage pie is one of the best things about winter. Make it special with Mary Berry's dauphinoise topped cottage pie, or keep it simple with. British minced beef, onion and carrot in gravy topped with mashed potato British minced beef in gravy, topped with mashed potato. For this savory pie, ground beef, onions, veggies, herbs and spices marry perfectly: Everything is sauteed together and then combined with broth and tomato paste, and simmered until ready to pour into a prepared pie crust.