Not complicated rhubarb compote. Put the rhubarb and sugar in the baking dish. Compote, the French for 'mixture', describes the beautifully simple method of slow-cooking fruit in a sugar syrup. It works well for rhubarb on its own or for a combination of rhubarb and soft fruit or spices.
Rhubarb Apple Compote - When making the Rhubarb Apple Compote you first need to cook the apples. Peel the apples, cut them on smaller chunks and add them to the compote liquid. Add the rhubarb and continue with the recipe. You can cook Not complicated rhubarb compote using 2 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Not complicated rhubarb compote
- It's 200 g of rhubarb.
- Prepare 40 g of sugar.
Bring rhubarb mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Leave to macerate for a minimum of one hour or overnight if possible. Combine all ingredients (excluding vanilla) in large sauce pot. Heat to medium-high and stir occasionally until rhubarb begins to break down completely.
Not complicated rhubarb compote instructions
- Find some rhubarb and pick it. Or better, grow some..
- Get someone to cut it up for you. Children are best. Tell them to cut the leaves off because they’re poisonous. You don’t want them in your compote..
- Chuck the rhubarb and sugar in a pan, and put it on a low heat.
- Wait for a while. The water will start to come out of the rhubarb. I know it looks wild, but don’t get scared. Nothing is going to burn. You don’t need to add water. Keep it low and slow..
- See? It’s all stewed down nice. Leave it to cool. You could add some vanilla now if you want. But I don’t bother because my wife puts vanilla in the sugar cos she’s fancy..
- Jar it. Then use it whenever you want. Stays good for a week or two in the fridge..
Remove from heat, stir in vanilla bean paste (or extract), and allow to cool to room temperature. Put all the ingredients in a small saucepan over a low heat. Stir occasionally to stop it sticking. Top of the morning to you! This Baked Strawberry Cream and Rhubarb Oatmeal from Diana looks like the perfect compliment to our rhubarb compote.