How to Make Tasty Vegan Cottage Pie
Vegan Cottage Pie. Garden At Home With Sarah Raven, Wide Range of Products Available Online Lightweight Camping Equipment - Meals, Stoves and Cookware. Add the drained cannellini beans, chopped tomatoes and tomato purée and stir well. How to make vegan cottage pie Start by getting the potatoes boiling, then heat the oil in a large pan on medium heat and soften the chopped onion and carrot.
Give it a really good stir then add the stock and bay leaves. When your potatoes are done, drain them and return to the pan. Add the spread and milk, then mash until smooth. You can cook Vegan Cottage Pie using 23 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Vegan Cottage Pie
- You need 100 g of Dry Soy Meat *Mince type.
- It's 2 tablespoons of Oil.
- Prepare 1 of Onion *finely chopped.
- It's 2 cloves of Garlic *finely chopped.
- You need 1 of Carrot *cut into Peas & Corn size.
- It's 1 of Celery Sticks *finely chopped.
- You need of Thyme OR Herb of your choice as required.
- You need 4 of Mushrooms *finely chopped.
- You need 1/2 of red Capsicum.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Frozen Peas.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Frozen Corn.
- Prepare of *Note: I recommend to use a variety of Vegetables for richer flavour.
- You need 2 tablespoons of Plain Flour.
- You need 1 of & 1/2 cups Vegetable Stock.
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of Tomato Paste.
- It's 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins).
- It's of Salt & Black Pepper.
- It's of Mashed Potato Topping.
- Prepare 800 g of to 1kg Potatoes *peeled & chopped.
- Prepare of Salt for cooking.
- You need 30 g of Margarine.
- You need 1/2 cup of Milk of your choice.
- It's of Ground Paprika *optional.
Cottage Pie traditionally involves beef, while shepherds pie contains lamb. This dish however is a vegan version - I just felt that cottage was the perfect word to sum up the cosy 'hug' feeling when eating it. A super simple dish with literally no skill required at all, but the whole family will love it. This vegetarian pie is just as satisfying as the meaty version.
Vegan Cottage Pie instructions
- Soak Dry Soy Meat in plenty of warm water for 30 minutes. Drain and squeeze to remove excess water, then soak in fresh water, drain and squeeze to remove excess water again. *Note: This process is to remove unpleasant smell from Soy Meat. It might be unnecessary, or you wish to repeat a few times..
- Heat Oil in a large frying pan or pot over medium heat. Cook Onion, Garlic, Carrot, Celery and Herb for 2-3 minutes. Add Mushrooms and Capsicum, and cook until soft..
- Add Flour and stir until combined, then add Stock, Tomato Paste and Worcestershire Sauce. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, and add Soy Meant, Peas and Corn. Season with Salt and Pepper, and cook until sauce thickens..
- Meanwhile, cook Potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain well. Return to the saucepan and add Margarine. Use a potato masher to mash until smooth. Add Milk of your choice, and stir until well combined. Taste and season with Salt and Pepper..
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Spoon the mixture into a large baking dish. Cover with the Mashed Potato and use a fork to spread over and make a pattern. Sprinkle with some Ground Paprika, but it is optional..
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until mashed potato is slightly browned. Serve immediately..
Place the Maris Pipers into a large pan of cold salted water over a medium heat. As a british person from the north of England, corn and green beans wouldn't be ideal for a Sheperds/Cottage Pie — not sure what dish this would make, though it wouldn't be traditional British food. And ideally a couple of tablespoons of Bisto granules rather than mash / cornflour, if you have it. This delicious, savoury vegan shepherd's pie freezes very well, so make in individual portions if you prefer, or freeze the leftovers. The secret ingredient is nutritional yeast, a great vegan.