Easiest Way to Cook Yummy Caribbean Inspired Brown Stew Chicken
Caribbean Inspired Brown Stew Chicken.
You can cook Caribbean Inspired Brown Stew Chicken using 23 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Caribbean Inspired Brown Stew Chicken
- You need of chicken breasts chopped, OR a mixture of thigh and leg meat,.
- Prepare of scotch bonnet chilli, seeds removed, sliced finely,.
- Prepare of each sliced bell peppers, (red & yellow),.
- Prepare of onion, chopped finely,.
- You need of spring onions, chopped, some reserved for garnish,.
- Prepare of chopped salad tomatoes,.
- You need of the tomato paste,.
- Prepare of garlic, minced,.
- It's of fresh ginger, chopped finely,.
- Prepare of soft brown sugar,.
- It's of onion powder,.
- It's of heaped tsp paprika,.
- Prepare of garlic powder,.
- It's of allspice,.
- It's of chicken stock (reduced salt is possible),.
- You need of sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried,.
- It's of bay leaves,.
- Prepare of ketchup,.
- You need of level tsp cocoa powder,.
- Prepare of yeast extract,.
- It's of Black pepper and salt to season,.
- You need of and 1/2 cups water,.
- Prepare of oil for frying.
Caribbean Inspired Brown Stew Chicken step by step
- In a large bowl add the dark brown sugar, allspice, paprika, garlic powder, minced garlic, fresh ginger, scotch bonnet chilli, chopped onions, a pinch of salt and a generous grind of black pepper plus the yeast extract. Combine well until all fully incorporated. Add in your chicken and gently mix everything together to coat it all over. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or ideally overnight..
- When ready to cook heat up the oil in a large saucepan and remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and add in with the oil. Reserve the onions/marinade for now. Brown the chicken off on all sides..
- Add in the bell peppers and fry for a couple of minutes then add in the onions/marinade mixture that the chicken was in, into the pan. Fry off for a minute or two then add in the tomato paste. Stir through..
- Crumble in the chicken stock cube then add a cup of water. Add in the chopped tomatoes and spring onions. Lastly, add the cocoa powder, ketchup, fresh thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and cover with a lid. Return and stir occasionally. Simmer over a medium low heat until the sauce becomes a glossy deep brown and has reduced down and thickened. Serve up, garnish with a little spring onion and enjoy! :).