Recipe: Tasty Sardinian tomato fregola stew
Sardinian tomato fregola stew. Make Your Bestie's Day With A Personalised Card Sure To Make Them Smile! Can't See Them Face to Face? Send Them A Special Card To Brighten Their Day!
It's a bit like giant couscous. After lots of food research into Sardinia recently, I by chance came across a pack of the fregola in a nearby deli in London. This Shrimp and Tomato Stew with Fregola is a Sardinian dish made with shrimp and a pasta of semolina flour and water. You can cook Sardinian tomato fregola stew using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sardinian tomato fregola stew
- Prepare of Olive oil.
- Prepare 100 g of quality pancetta, chopped into 0.5cm cubes.
- Prepare 1 of onion, peeled and diced.
- You need 1 of carrot, finely sliced.
- It's 1 stick of celery, finely sliced.
- You need 2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed.
- It's 1 tin of chickpeas (400g).
- Prepare 2 tins of tomatoes (2 X 400g).
- Prepare 400 ml of veg stock.
- Prepare 200 g of fregola pasta.
- It's of Optional: any random green leaves or peas are nice too.
- You need 1 of small bunch of parsley, leaves finely chopped.
This shrimp and tomato stew with fregola features a pasta that is toasted after it is dried. It has a nutty flavor and is actually pretty easy to make and dry on your own. Add the chopped cherry tomatoes, parsley and basil. Season to taste with the salt and remove the pan from the heat.
Sardinian tomato fregola stew step by step
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large saucepan, then add the pancetta and fry for a few minutes..
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic and cook gently until softened, stirring occasionally so the garlic doesn't burn..
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes and stock, season with salt and pepper, and bring to the boil..
- Add the fregola pasta, then cook over a medium-low heat until the pasta is cooked, about 15 minutes or so (don't worry, you can't overcook it like regular pasta). You'll find the fregola may stick to the bottom of the pan, so stir often. Add a splash of hot water if it looks a little dry..
- Towards the end of the cooking time, stir in the parsley. You may want to add peas or any green leaves, like spinach if you have them (optional).
- Once cooked, season to taste and serve with grated cheese if you like..
Fregola is a cross between a large couscous grain and tiny ball of pasta, which originated on the island of Sardinia. I have never heard of it before researching the foody side of this Mediterranean island. It is made from semolina that is hand-rolled into tiny pearls. It has a unique texture and is used in many dishes. Sweat the garlic, chilli, shallots, and thyme in a little olive oil.