Spanish-style French Toast. Low Prices on Toast By Toast. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders A cross between french toast and bread pudding, it's a simple Spanish dessert that has gotten me my fair share of compliments over the years. There are as many torrijas recipes as people in Spain, but this one is a keeper.
Plus, the ingredients to make torrijas, or spanish style french toast, are really simple and most of us have them at home at any given time. You only need some bread, milk, cinnamon, lemon or orange zest, eggs and sugar. It is a simple recipe that works every single time. You can cook Spanish-style French Toast using 6 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Spanish-style French Toast
- You need 1 loaf of white bread- if you're using fresh bread it's recommended to use a crusty loaf.
- Prepare 250 ml of milk.
- Prepare 2 of eggs.
- It's 4 of heaped tablespoons of sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.
- It's 1 tablespoon of oil (you choose which type!).
Now, we have used two types of breads to to torrijas before. The traditional thing to use is a baguette or some bread. In a saucepan, place the milk, cinnamon and orange zest and put on a medium. When ready, a small cube of bread dropped into oil will sink to.
Spanish-style French Toast instructions
- Cut the bread into even slices- if it's pre-cut then super! Then dip the bread into the milk, making sure it's dunked on each side (shallow bowls work best for dipping.) After, drain off any excess milk from the bread..
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs. Then dip the bread slices into the eggs, again make sure that each side is well coated..
- In a shallow bowl mix the cinnamon and sugar, keep the bowl next to the hob- it's important later! Heat up the oil in a frying pan, when hot place the eggy bread into the pan. Flip the bread, making sure both sides are cooked (aim for golden brown.).
- Put the cooked bread into the sugar and cinnamon, straight from the pan so the sugar sticks. Use a fresh spatula to flip the bread so both sides are coated- a fish slice is great to help flipping. Place onto a plate covered with kitchen roll..
- ¡Maravillosa! Serve straight away- on it's own or with whatever you like, maple syrup, ice-cream or fresh fruit all taste delicious!.
In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, egg yolks, ⅓ cup sugar, vanilla bean seeds, and lemon zest. Torrijas (Spanish Style French Toast) Torrija is a traditional dessert of Lent and Holy Week in Spain. It was born a long time ago as a way to make good use of bread that was no longer fresh. Paradoxically, today we buy a special bread to make torrijas. This is a low-budget version of Spanish bread pudding (Torrijas) using simple ingredients.