Shepard's pie. Browse Our Great Selection of Books & Get Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Shepherd's pie with rich lamb and creamy mash is winter comfort food at its best. This one has a secret ingredient for extra savouriness.
He suggests using Welsh Black Face lamb, a breed noted for its quality. Put the mince into a cold casserole pan. Pick and finely chop the rosemary leaves, drain the beans, then stir both into the pan. You can have Shepard's pie using 11 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Shepard's pie
- Prepare 800 g of Potato mash.
- You need 800 g of minced beef.
- It's 2-3 of carrots.
- You need 1/4 of celeriac.
- Prepare of Peeled tomatoes (2 cans or 600g).
- You need of Garlic.
- It's 100 g of Cheddar.
- Prepare 3 of Onions.
- Prepare of Thyme.
- Prepare of Rosemary.
- It's of Worcester sauce.
This simple, hearty, vegetarian shepherd's pie is packed full of healthy vegetables and lentils. Omit the Worcestershire sauce and Parmesan to make it a hearty vegetarian dinner. Put the minced lamb into a large frying pan and heat gently until the fat runs. Increase the heat and cook, turning and mashing the meat until it browns.
Shepard's pie step by step
- Prepare potato mash as you like it. I prefer adding a bit of cumin, garlic..
- Pan-fry finely chopped onion with carrot and celery cubes..
- Add meat with garlic, salt and pepper. Stir a lot. Add tomatoes (or tomato juice) and reduce..
- Pour mixture into baking bowl, top with potato mash and cheddar. Bake for 20 minutes at 180°C.
Using a slotted spoon, lift the lamb out of the pan and spoon off the excess fat. Add the mushrooms, carrots, onion, and garlic to the pan. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a lamb eating one, and when one is served "shepherd's pie" here, it is most often made with ground beef. Irish Shepherd's Pie Traditional Irish Shepherd's Pie would actually call for ground lamb.